Make a stylish dress - Intermediate plus
Course duration: 9 hours total
Course price: £110
What will I make: a shift dress
Course materials: £18 (optional)
This 9 hour dressmaking course is designed for those who have made easy garments in the past and are ready to move to truly tailored garments. For this dressmaking course you need to be able to confidently use a sewing machine, have already used commercial patterns and be familiar with sewing classic zips, button holes and rolled hems. Ideally, you would have already completed our Sew Capable sewing course for intermediates.
This sewing course is usually made up of 3 x 3 hour sessions run over 3 consecutive weeks, but we also schedule crash courses. You can check our schedule by clicking the book button.
What will I learn?
During this dressmaking course you will learn to use a commercial dress pattern and adjust it to fit your body measurements. You can choose to make either a sleeved or sleeveless style dress. You will also learn to sew darts, insert an invisible zip, attach a facing, setting sleeves, hemming and pressing. By the last session you will be walking away with a new, fabulous, ready to wear stylish Shift Dress. Areas we will cover in the this sewing course include:
- - Set up a sewing machine
- - Take measurements
- - Construct darts
- - Understanding patterns - what do the symbols mean?
- - Reading/laying/cutting out of pattern and fabrics
- - Sewing an invisible zip
- - Gathering
- - Top stitching
- - Simple decorative stitching with machine
What do I need to bring?
If you want to use your own fabric for this sewing course you will need to bring along the following:
- Dress fabric - size 8-14
- - Either 2.0m (200cm) of 115cm wide woven cotton (non-stretchy)
- - Or 1.6m (160cm) of 140cm wide woven cotton (non-stretchy)
- Dress fabric - size 16-18
- - Either 2.4m (240cm) of 115cm wide woven cotton
- - Or 2.0m (200cm) of 140cm wide woven cotton
- Also required for either project
- - Matching thread
- - Matching invisible zip (40-50 cm long)
- Buy fabric for the whole course for £18 when booking the course.
Just to sew things up...
All machines and equipment are provided, although if you would like to bring your own sewing machine to learn on, you are welcome to do so. You can buy all materials needed for this course for £18 (available when booking the course). Refreshments and biscuits are included and a glass of wine for all evening classes to help create a seamless atmosphere..
A few important T&Cs
Please take a moment to read the not so fun BUT nevertheless important terms and conditions regarding the sewing classes we run.
Looking for a different kind of gift idea? Learning to sew could make the perfect present. Check out our gift vouchers which can be used for any class or course.
Work for us
Do you love sewing and crafting? Are you interested in working for us or looking for work experience? Send us your CV or a covering letter. We'd love to hear from you.